Sunday, January 11, 2009

First Week!

Hey everyone! I left for Spain January 5th, and arrived in Madrid on the 6th. From there, I met up with the rest of my group and flew to Sevilla together. Spain is absolutely beautiful!! We all live with Spanish families close to the center of Sevilla. It is a beautiful area and all of us are trying to get our bearings. We had orientation on the 7th and classes started the 8th. We have one class that meets five days a week for three hours until the end of January to help us get adjusted to the Spanish culture.
The food here is really good! To help us adjust, my senora has given us a mixture of some traditional Spanish dishes, like paella, and typical American dishes as well, like pizza, haha! My senora has three daughters, one of which still lives with her, because they normally do not leave home until they are married, and has two Cocker Spaniels named Mora and Pepo. They are ADORABLE and well behaved. Pepo "dances" in circles when we clear the table after every meal in hopes of getting leftovers! The hardest thing to adjust to so far has been meal times. They eat breakfast before they go off to work early in the morning, and then have a snack around 10 or 11 because they do not eat lunch until 2 or 3pm! Their lunch is like their dinner, in that it's the heaviest meal of the day. Then, they don't eat dinner until 9 or 10 pm, which is much lighter.
Some of our group met up with my friend Kelly, who is a recent Gettysburg graduate who now lives in Sevilla. She gave us a tour around the major parts in Sevilla to help us get to know other parts of town better, since we really only know our barrio, Santa Cruz.
I can't think of anything else to write at this moment, but I'll be updating soon with pictures once I figure out how to upload them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Katie, it's Aunt Mary. I'm enjoying your pictures. Glad to hear everything is going well. Now I can visualize where you are! Keep posting photos for me! Love you!